About Me and Design Rocks!

My photo
Hello and welcome. Here's a bit about me: I've spent my childhood and a lot of my life traveling. Places, colour and pattern are my biggest inspiration. I've surfed & lived in a tent in Cornwall. Sketched my way round Morocco. Designed from an antique textile archive in Manhattan (dream job!). Styled and written for an interiors magazine on the sleepy island of Malta. Now I live in Manchester, UK, where I run Design Rocks greetings cards. Whilst in Manhattan I amassed a large collection of vintage textiles. These were used as inspiration for my first card range, Vintage Rocks! We sell wholesale so if you'd like a brochure visit the website or get in touch. Thanks for stopping by.

Saturday 27 February 2010

Weekend Project....


I got this typography draw from my lovely sister-in-law for Christmas, (one of my best pressis!). I've been meaning to track one down for years as I have so many little knick-knacks, found things and folders full of nice papers that really need to have an airing. Some of the papers I used to line the little boxes were antique wallpapers that i bought back from New York. There's also some antique buttons from my grandmas button tin.


I spent a wonderfully creative afternoon just putting them all together with my second eldest 'helping', listening to good tunes (loving this Florence remix) sipping hot spiced apple. Each little box was like a piece of artwork with it's own composition, pattern and colours. Then when you step back the whole thing comes together visually.




A perfect winter afternoon, I've definitely caught the making bug again. I love whiling the hours away, forgetting everything and just focusing on creating. I'll just have to start collecting more bits on walks, carboots and fleamarkets now as I've looted my collection for this project!

4 comments:

Dolly Cool Clare said...

Love it! The retro swallow paper in the bottom photo is ace, and I like the crochet owl too :)

Cheryl said...

I know, I love those swallows. After going through my old papers, I've already earmarked some for future card design elements.
I've subscribed to craft and gift focus too, so thanks for that!
Have a lovely day - it's sunny!!!

LissyLou said...

It looks great, i've been looking on ebay for one!

Cheryl said...

That's a good idea, I expect trying to get them on reclaim sites like RE might be a bit more expensive.