About Me and Design Rocks!

My photo
Hello and welcome. Here's a bit about me: I've spent my childhood and a lot of my life traveling. Places, colour and pattern are my biggest inspiration. I've surfed & lived in a tent in Cornwall. Sketched my way round Morocco. Designed from an antique textile archive in Manhattan (dream job!). Styled and written for an interiors magazine on the sleepy island of Malta. Now I live in Manchester, UK, where I run Design Rocks greetings cards. Whilst in Manhattan I amassed a large collection of vintage textiles. These were used as inspiration for my first card range, Vintage Rocks! We sell wholesale so if you'd like a brochure visit the website or get in touch. Thanks for stopping by.

Tuesday 12 October 2010

Yummy childrens illustrations...





What is it about old childrens books that I love so much - the colours? The fresh illustrative styles - they're quite graphic in nature. I dunno but I find them really inspiring. It takes me back to being a little girl (I'm pretty vintage myself) and curling up on a cold afternoon in front of the fire with a new picture book, mmmm the smell of the pages and the crackle of the fire - bliss!

3 comments:

Dolly Cool Clare said...

I've always loved Quentin Blake - his illustrations really are something else and totally brought to life all the Roald Dahl books which I loved and read a million times as a kid.
I also love the 'This is' books by M.Sasek, and way The Snowman (my fave ever animation) is illustrated.
I buy books for my 3 yr old nieces based on the illustrations rather than the content!!

Cheryl said...

They're my faves too - roald and quentine are a match made in heaven and hold a special place in my heart. Now my kids love them too so i get to read them all, 3 times over - yippee!

LissyLou said...

i love the top image. I buy far too many childrens books just for the beautiful illustrations!!