About Me and Design Rocks!

My photo
Hello and welcome. Here's a bit about me: I've spent my childhood and a lot of my life traveling. Places, colour and pattern are my biggest inspiration. I've surfed & lived in a tent in Cornwall. Sketched my way round Morocco. Designed from an antique textile archive in Manhattan (dream job!). Styled and written for an interiors magazine on the sleepy island of Malta. Now I live in Manchester, UK, where I run Design Rocks greetings cards. Whilst in Manhattan I amassed a large collection of vintage textiles. These were used as inspiration for my first card range, Vintage Rocks! We sell wholesale so if you'd like a brochure visit the website or get in touch. Thanks for stopping by.

Monday 4 May 2009

Green Walk a blinding success!


Blinking blimey flip, I cannot BELIEVE how well I did over the weekend at Green Walk Arts festival. I sold 500, yes 500 cards!!!!!!

I couldn't keep up with the sales, it was like a rugby scrum. I'm soooo happy because I've spent nearly a year trying to get this off the ground, I've been ridiculously skint, confused, frustrated, really down at times, I've nearly given up 4 times and had a little blub more than a few occasions.

Then suddenly, like a little ray of sunshine it all just happened. Everybody loved my cards, some people bought 15 at a time (ok, they were also cheap!). The feedback was so positive that now I feel really confident to go for it and get another (expensive) print run done, then do a trade fair in autumn.

Here's a rubbish pic of me selling my wares on a coffee table. I had a flashback to when I was a little girl and I used to play shops on my grandma's coffee table with a little vintage tin full of coppers and lots of packets of tea from her cupboard. I think I just came full circle!!!

7 comments:

Mrs B said...

Brilliant!!! Clever girl! Woweeeeeeeeee 500 cards! What a high x x x x you'll be able to afford that caravan in no time! x

saraeden said...

Oh wow 500 !! Glad you had lots of sales but then its no wonder your cards are gorgeous !!

We have a little group to try and help promote crafters etc Up North , if you would like to join us that would be great !!

Sara x

Cheryl said...

Thanks! I'm still beaming today. Oh little caravan you will be mine.

Let me know about the crafters oop north sareden

Anonymous said...

Well done and thanks for sharing all your success stories. It is great to see that hard work pays off eventually! (I'm still at the skint stage!) I would be interested in joining your Made in Manchester group as I am not far away and will have my Etsy shop up and running soon. Kate x

Mrs B said...

me too me too!! I am oop North! I worked out the link within, Cheryl! Is it still on your to do list!!? it is working on my blog now, so you just click on its link at the bottom of a post! clever stuff for me!x

Cheryl said...

YES! I was just thinking about it today. I'll go on your blog now and see how it works then get it working.

I've got a full day of working on cards tomorrow. Yay. I'm childminding some days during the week now as well so it's a write off for the rest of the week. I have to work evenings as well.

There's a great blog called 'Northern Belles' I'll put a link to it so you can access it. It has loads of good links.

artangel said...

Wow - go Cheryl!!!! Good for you! I think you should print this post out and put it on your wall to inspire you!