About Me and Design Rocks!

My photo
Hello and welcome. Here's a bit about me: I've spent my childhood and a lot of my life traveling. Places, colour and pattern are my biggest inspiration. I've surfed & lived in a tent in Cornwall. Sketched my way round Morocco. Designed from an antique textile archive in Manhattan (dream job!). Styled and written for an interiors magazine on the sleepy island of Malta. Now I live in Manchester, UK, where I run Design Rocks greetings cards. Whilst in Manhattan I amassed a large collection of vintage textiles. These were used as inspiration for my first card range, Vintage Rocks! We sell wholesale so if you'd like a brochure visit the website or get in touch. Thanks for stopping by.

Tuesday 26 May 2009

Proper camping


We abandoned the festival we were meant to go to, for all it's noise, people and sensory overload (get enough of that with my busy life) and instead found a farm in the peaks to pitch up.

Our only neighbours were sheep (and a lot of sheep poo!). The facilities included a tap and a porta loo. The views were just stunning and I had a proper feel of nature and being at one with the land. I saw herons, swallows, rabbits and voles.

I also got a bit Ray Mears and went Ferral. I think I missed my vocation and should have been in the SAS. I come from generations of forces families and I only realised this weekend that it must be in my blood!

Top 5 Proper Camping activities:

Fire building
Setting up camp
Cloud spotting
Drinking round the campfire with good friends
Wittling sticks with your knife - pointless but fun.

I have an ambition to try Hardcore Camping where you build your own shelter in a wood and live off the land. One day.

One thing it did make me is a green warrior - you realise how much crap you create as a human. I made a vow to cut down on plastic, packaging, chemicals and unneccessary 'stuff'. When you live that basically you realise what you actually need and it really isn't that much. I'm also going to use biodegradable cello wrappers and vegetable inks for my cards in future.

In the meantime here's the view I woke up to every morning.

1 comment:

eyeshoot said...

Glad you had a good time!